This has been a very educational and enjoyable exercise for me. I’ve struggled with still life composition in the past and agonised over the choice and arrangement of the elements to such a degree that I’ve had no energy or creativity left by the time I got to painting and drawing. This exercise has given me a whole new insight into a more creative way of designing a composition and with it a new enthusiasm for still life.
I don’t have a final drawing but I do have a lot of experiments in composition and I’ve pulled out below those that I think have the most potential. These have moved a long way from my original ready-made still life on a window sill and brought in the blinds, brickwork and a ‘comma’ shape ( the negative space inside the watering can handle) as repeated motifs. I’ve never worked this way before and I’m excited by it, while also recognising that I’ve still a way to go in achieving a creative composition that I feel really happy with. I need to do much more thinking about the space around the elements (which is addressed in the next exercise) and I could do with using the red brick motifs with more subtlety. Nonetheless, I’m pleased with the outcomes of my experiments and feel that the character of the basil and parsley in my observational drawings has been carried through.