Having got started I thought I’d stop to reflect on what I’m hoping to gain from this course. The learning outcomes on successful completion as per the handbook are listed in bold below. I’ve added some personal aims below.
Use drawing and painting for investigation, generating ideas, and recording and selecting visual information
- Make using my sketchbook an integral part of my life.
- Develop some of the ideas that emerged from Drawing One that felt they were at the beginning of a journey but not there yet.
- Improve composition (this has sometimes let me down).
- Get out and about to see art at every opportunity; not just the blockbuster shows in London but local galleries and exhibitions too.
- Look out for suitable study visits
Make skillful use of a range of media
- Learn how to paint confidently with acrylics in particular and possibly also get some practice in with oils.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding for the work of some important artists and movements in painting
- Read, watch, visit, research – all this is not a chore, it is a pleasure and an inspiration when stuck so I want to try to fit in as much as possible.
Reflect perceptively upon your own learning experience
- Try to learn from what works as well as what doesn’t.