Filling an A2 piece of paper using coloured pencils was a challenge. Things started well and then turned into a bit of a saga…
I did some experiments in my sketch book to look at how to achieve different effects with coloured pencils. Then I explored options with different arrangements of flowers and compositions through sketching and taking a few photos.
I opted for a jug of lilies on a window sill with a view of the garden behind. Judging by my initial sketch it looked like this should work well. All the lilies were closed except for one which was partly open. I liked the subtlety of this. Then as I got going, the lily opened right up very quickly. I adjusted and carried on drawing what was there but when I stepped back to look at my work (now quite advanced), I realised the one open lily right on top of the jug looked like a strange windmill and had completely unbalanced my composition.
Then it got dark and my view outside was obliterated and all the light changed. I had taken a photo but by this point I was concerned that using the garden behind as my background would result in a green jungle jumble. So I opted (not very creatively!) to simply draw the dark windows.
To rescue the situation, I did some adjustment to the colours of my picture to try to stop the one lily standing out like a windmill and being too dominant. My thinking was that if I warmed up the colouring elsewhere in the picture, it would would help the lily to merge with the other picture elements. I think this worked to some extent.
I feel this drawing is more successful when cropped to a square as centrally placed object seems to work better in a square.
- Flowers are quite loose in style – they look alive not wooden.
- Reasonable depth of tone achieved with the pencils
- Doesn’t look flat
What doesn’t work
- Bit of a cop out on the view through the window.
- Not a balanced composition
- Slightly odd rendition of the jug
- Light got confused as the daylight faded and the objects became lit from the front.